We are looking for a Junior Web Developer who will be operational and eager to be part of an experienced team of developers optimizing our digital products. In this role, you will support product engineering and web development for our brand group to ensure that we deliver market-leading web experiences to our readers.
You will join the Operations team during a new era at Pedestrian Group, helping to support our new business properties and partnerships including Pedestrian.TV, Pedestrian Jobs, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia, Kotaku Australia, VICE and Refinery29 Australia.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the role requires an approachable and organized individual with a dynamic and enthusiastic attitude. You’ll be someone who likes to collaborate, is passionate about big ideas, and isn’t afraid to get your hands dirty building new products and websites using WordPress best practices.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
Development and maintenance of the main site:
- Build and maintain the sites of our main editorial brands; Pedestrians.TV, Gizmodo.com.au, Kotaku.com.au, Lifehacker.com.au
- UX improvements and maintenance on additional brands and
e-commerce platforms like pedestrian jobs and outdoor cinemas
- Be on the cutting edge of WordPress development
Creative projects and features
- Develop ad hoc commercial and creative projects
short-term commercial and editorial imperatives.
- Create and maintain new features and capabilities across all website assets
- Ensure the effectiveness of the team by working in collaboration with the
and external stakeholders, including CTO, Creative
Project managers and external suppliers
- Direct management of any internal development team
Required Skills :
- Practical WordPress development skills, with an understanding of modern themes and plugin development
- Autonomous and eager to learn with excellent analytical skills
- Experience with Atlassian Bitbucket and Jira deployment programs is a bonus
- Experience in front-end and back-end web development practices is a plus
As the preferred candidate, you will have:
- Knowledge and experience of the online publishing industry
- Skills and understanding of web performance
- Agile development skills
- A keen interest in learning new WordPress technologies
- A team player
**About the pedestrian group**
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth-focused publisher, reaching a unique audience of over 4.7 million Australians per month. It is home to PEDESTIAN.TV, Business Insider Australia, Lifehacker, Gizmodo, Kotaku and PopSugar, as well as American Express drive-in cinemas. It is 100% owned by Nine, Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.