Dell’s Developer Editions are the official sequel to Project Sputnik. This initiative began in 2012 to create high-end Dell systems with Ubuntu pre-installed, designed for developers and driven by feedback from the developer community.
Dell XPS 13 Plus Developer Edition Achieves Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Certification Ahead of August Release
Dell’s most powerful 13-inch XPS laptop is twice as powerful as before.
Its sleek design includes a sleek, lattice-free keyboard, a row of capacitive touch functions, a clear glass touchpad, and edge-to-edge interfaces. The modern look is powered by 28W 12th Gen Intel® Core™ processors (up from 15W on the previous gen) and supported by larger fans that provide 55% better airflow without increasing noise or noise. temperature. Plus, state-of-the-art battery technology lets you go the distance without interruption. You can quickly refill juice on the fly. And Express Charge 2.0 gets your laptop up to around 80% battery life in less than an hour.
The Dell XPS 13 Plus Developer Edition is the latest release in this longstanding partnership. Ubuntu 22.04 LTS brings new features, performance, and stability improvements backed by up to ten years of software updates.
XPS is a portal to innovation for Dell – from its application of cutting-edge technologies to experimentation with new user interfaces and experiential design.
By bringing the improved performance and power management features of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS to our most advanced high-end laptop, Dell and Canonical reinforce our shared commitment to continue to deliver the best computing experience for developers using Ubuntu. .
— Jaewook Woo, Product Manager for Linux Operating System, Dell Technologies
Other Dell XPS 13 Plus Developer Edition features include
- Ubuntu desktop preloaded
- Improved quad-speaker design delivers incredible sound for music, movies, and conferences.
- Up to 4K+ resolution or vivid, lifelike colors on an OLED display with Eyesafe® that reduces harmful blue light
- M.2 PCIe Gen 4 NVMe SSD
- Up to 32 GB, LPDDR5, 5200 MHz, integrated, dual channel
- The new packaging is made from 100% sustainable or renewable materials with paper documentation that increases its recyclability.
The XPS 13 is a long-standing Ubuntu flagship line of laptops. It’s fantastic to see the XPS 13 Plus and Ubuntu 22.04 deliver a first-class hardware and software experience for developers, 10 years after Project Sputnik began.
—Oliver Smith, Ubuntu Desktop Product Manager, Canonical
What is Ubuntu Certification?
The Ubuntu Certification program ensures that all components of a certified computer work as expected so the user can be sure of the best experience. Ubuntu Certified devices are based on Long Term Support (LTS) releases and receive updates for up to ten years.
The Ubuntu Certification Lab tests hundreds of certified devices daily, including all of their essential hardware components and features, ensuring that devices perform (and continue to perform) to high standards throughout their lifecycle.
Certified devices also include specific software or drivers that differ from the default distribution, if any. These are defined in a meta-package that automatically installs the optimal configuration of packages, drivers, and kernel to provide the best experience on that device.
These changes are the factory images used by partners like Dell. However, they are also pushed upstream to the main Ubuntu distribution so that certified devices receive the correct meta-package, even when users install Ubuntu themselves.
Users can install or upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on an existing certified Dell XPS 13 Plus and get the same high-quality experience as buying it pre-installed.
Latest Features and Highlights of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS produces a revitalizing experience for Ubuntu 20.04.
- With the latest version of GNOME 42, users get expanded desktop performance with triple buffering, better control over power management settings, new instinctive workspace layouts and desktop gestures. touchpad, as well as extensive customization alternatives.
- Wayland ships as the default display server, and the updated PulseAudio sound server improves help for Bluetooth audio devices and battery level reporting.
- Ubuntu has the latest toolchains for Python, PHP, Ruby, Perl, GCC, Go, and Rust. It includes the latest versions of default productivity apps like LibreOffice, Thunderbird, and Firefox, with thousands more apps available in the snap store.
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS has merged the working environment with Active Directory integration and advanced policy support for Ubuntu Advantage users. With long-term support, protection, enhanced management tools, and access to certified hardware, enterprise developers can tightly integrate with the rest of their organization’s assets.
Readers can find a full breakdown of the new Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and read the release notes and official announcement here. Ubuntu will prompt Ubuntu 20.04 LTS users to update their devices when Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS launches on August 4.
Dell XPS Plus 13 Developer’s Edition will be available with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS pre-installed in August 2022 in US, Canada and European countries.
Sources of information: Dell, Ubuntu main page