Business Insider is America’s most popular business news site. We also operate several other popular sites such as Tech Insider; as well as BI Intelligence, a premium subscription service for industry professionals. With a global family of sites in Europe and Asia, we are rapidly approaching one billion pageviews per month.
About the job:
The role is located in the Flatiron district of New York. As a Backend Engineer at Business Insider, your code will reach over millions of readers worldwide every month. We face exciting challenges every day due to the demands of our growing audience and the 24/7 news cycle.
You will report directly to managers who understand the technology and even write code. The backend team has plenty of opportunities for a motivated engineer to make a huge impact and be recognized for it.
About the engineering group:
- We do the majority of our server-side development in PHP with MongoDB, Memcached, Symfony, Solr / Lucene, Doctrine, etc.
- We believe in using the right tool for the job, so we also have a few services written in NodeJS and Go.
- We use Docker in development and production environments
- We are always exploring new tools and ideas as our needs change, and we love working alongside people who are willing to try new things.
- We do daily deployments on many projects.
- We have dedicated QA and DevOps teams
- We conduct code reviews, write unit tests, and believe in the value of coding standards.
- We recognize achievements and promote from within.
- We encourage collaboration, knowledge sharing, camaraderie and fun.
- We offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits
- Experience with PHP 5 in production applications.
- Mastery of UNIX commands
- Experience working with at least one relational or NoSQL database.
- Experience using version control software, preferably Git.
- A solid understanding of OO and MVC design principles, RESTful APIs, caching concepts, HTTP protocol, and general web architecture.
- You write clear, concise code that your teammates want to read and develop
- Ability to write high-performance code at scale
- You are autonomous and you take charge of your work
- Willing to solve difficult problems well
- Real enthusiasm and love of programming.
Bonus / Pleasant to the well-off
- Experience with Message Queuing services (SQS, RabbitMQ, IronMQ, etc.)
- Contributions to open source or personal projects
- Big Data or Analytics experience
- Experience with AWS or other cloud providers
- Experience with subscription platforms and / or payment processors
- Any experience with major JS frameworks such as Angular, React, etc.
Does this sound like the right gig for you, please apply online.